In Memory of Kiev Trams + Photo Gallery of Trams and Trolleybuses:: Photo Galleries:: Trams:: KTM-1 + KTP-1: the last two-axle car


(501+101 – 565+165)

The Ust-Katav Car Factory, founded in 1758 (!), has produced trams for more than a century (since 1901). Under the Soviet Union the factory was named after S.M. Kirov, one of the Bolshevik leaders, assassinated in 1934, allegedly by Stalin's orders. The KTM/KTP series (Kirovsky Tramvay Motorny/Pritsepnoy, i.e., Kirov Tramcar Motor/Trailer) was started after World War II; the first model in this series, the two-axle motor cars KTM-1 and trailers KTP-1, was delivered, among other cities, to Kiev, from 1948. All three-digit series of fleet numbers had been used in Kiev by that time, hence the numbers were recycled: 5** for motor cars, 1** for trailers — both having been used for pre-1917 rolling stock. To the best of our knowledge, the last two figures in the fleet numbers of motor cars and their trailers always coincided.

The trains in question were initially delivered to the Shevchenko Depot and used on Routes 9, 10, 23. When the Darnitsa Depot opened in 1959, some of the trains were transferred there and were thus in service in the left bank. The advent of the more modern four-axle MTVs and especially the beginning of mass deliveries of the Tatras let Kiev launch the program of rolling stock modernization, whereby all the two-axle cars were either scrapped or sent over to other cities. That was the fate of the KTMs, too; the last ones were transferred to Dnepropetrovsk, Krivoy Rog, Mariupol, Nikolaev in 1966. Since then, no two-axle passenger tram car, nor any Ust-Katav model, was ever purchased by Kiev.

The long Route 23, from the downtown area to the suburb of Svyatoshin, was, for a period of time, served by KTMs belonging to the Shevchenko Depot. This train is leaving the outer terminus of that route and heading east, along Brest-Litovsky Prospekt and towards Bessarabka. An MTV-82 stands in the turning loop.
[Raymond De Groote, Jr., 12.07.1959]
That would be a risky shot if the car were moving... Apart from the route sign, the color lenses, which were in use in the 1950-60s and helped identify the route in darkness, are clearly visible.
[Lukyanovka Depot Museum]
Trains of this type also served the first postwar trans-Dnieper route, 28, from Podol to Darnitsa on the left bank. The setting for this picture is likely the DShK (Darnitsky Shelkovy Kombinat, or Darnitsa Silk Factory) terminus, which still exists today, known as Metro Lesnaya.
[Wolfgang Schreiner, 1959]
A rear view of the trailer, on the same Route 28.
[Kiev Electric Transportation Museum]
Before crossing the river, Route 28 ran on a long and almost straight stretch along Naberezhnoe Shosse (Embankment Highway). A glimpse of how this place looked before can still be caught in the left part of the picture — a path through high grass. The only other sign of civilization, apart from the tram line and the roadway, is a truck with a trailer carrying a load of wood...
[Raymond De Groote, Jr., 11.07.1959]
Another central route served by KTM+KTP trains was Route 9. When this picture was taken, it ran from from Podol via downtown towards Zavod Dzerzhinskogo (nowadays Metro Lybedskaya); later on, its southern terminus was changed to Stalinka (Demievka). This picture is most probably taken at the depot. Note the state emblem of the USSR on the side of the car.
[Kiev Electric Transportation Museum, 1950's]
The more "civilized" part of Naberezhnoe Shosse was its northern piece, closer to Podol. This picture is taken from an approach to the freshly-build Peshehodny Most (Pedestrian Bridge). On the horizon one can see the southern part of Podol, with Rechnoy Vokzal (the river boat station) and the tall building which is Brodsky's Mill, next to Pochtovaya Ploschad.
[Raymond De Groote, Jr., 11.07.1959]
The switch in the foreground is the old junction at Pochtovaya Ploschad. The train is about to turn left (as it goes) and start the Naberezhnoe Shosse portion of the journey on Route 28; the line going straight leads to Vladimirsky Spusk (formerly known as Aleksandrovsky Spusk), where electric trams first started running in 1892. Nowadays, the single remaining line is closer to the Dnieper (with respect to this picture, much further right).
[Kiev Electric Transportation Museum, 1960's]
The photographer's target here was, obviously, the brand-new Skoda 8Tr trolleybus, but the tram just happened to be nearby. The spot is the Ulitsa Kominterna, just short of Zhadanovskogo (Zhilyanskaya). The trolleybus is about to proceed straight towards Vokzal, whereas the tram will turn right to Ploschad Pobedy and Brest-Litovsky Prospekt.
[Wolfgang Schreiner, 06.1961]
Route 10, from Vokzal to Stalinka (Demievka) was yet another one to have seen the KTM+KTP trains. This is probably at the old Shevchenko tram depot.
[Kiev Electric Transportation Museum, 1950's]
Saksaganskogo, between Kominterna and Tolstogo, Route 9 towards Zavod Dzerzhinskogo. A whole string of trams is waiting behind... This place looks almost the same nowadays, except, of course, for the absence of the tram line.
[Raymond De Groote, Jr., 12.07.1959]
Route 9, Podol-bound, on Kominterna. This is just a few dozen meters short of the spot where the 534 picture was taken (and viewed from the opposite side of the street). Again, all the buildings in the picture stand intact today.
[Wolfgang Schreiner, 1960's]
Route 23 on Brest-Litovsky Prospekt. The train is about to dive under the freshly-build viaduct under another pair of tram tracks and a railway line (no longer existing). Nowadays, the Beresteyskaya metro station is here, but the area is still sometimes informally referred to as Zheleznodorozhnoye Peresechenie, which means "railway crossing".
[M. Selyuchenko, 1962]
Once again, route 23, on an S-curve that used to connect what is presently the speed tram line, on Borschagovskaya, with Brest-Litovsky Prospekt. The curve came into being in 1959, after a major track realignment project in this area was completed, and existed until 1978, when tram service on the eastern part of Brest-Litovsky Prospekt, and Route 23 with it, were discontinued.
[Kiev Electric Transportation Museum, 1960's]

© Stefan Mashkevich, Aare Olander, and authors of photos, 2008
Any usage of materials found herein requires explicit permission from copyright holders.
Last updated 9 March 2008