Part 3
(routes 7 through 8)

[ 1-4 | 5-6 | 7-8 | 9-11 | 12-14 | 15-16 | 17-21 | 23-B | Unknown ] [ Kiev Cars ]

7. Vokzal - Kislorodnyj Zavod
Route 7 ran, just like 6, from Vokzal along Brest-Litovskiy Prospect, then turning into the Otradnyj line along Bulvar Lepse. The 1228 is pictured here at the Ploschad Pobedy junction, a year before abandonment.
[Dieter Kuellmer, 1977]
Near Politechnicheskiy Institut. Don't look for those flowers there today...
[Anatoliy Vilkovich, 1978?]
The "Zoopark" (Zoo) stop. The zoo entrance is opposite the street.
[Anatoliy Vilkovich, 1978?]
It is impossible nowadays to imagine a tram line diagonally crossing a motorway... Nevertheless, that is how things were here (Brest-Litovskiy Prospect and Polevaya) up until 1978. Such a configuration came into existence because a city tram line up to Polevaya ran on one side of the prospect, the Svyatoshino tram taking the other side. After they were united, the line got to cross the prospect.
[Anatoliy Vilkovich, 1978?]
In the background is the Vozdukhoflotskiy Bridge. The five-story building to the right is the one opposite the "Yubileyny" deli; behind it is an oil repository, whose place is now occupied by the Marriage Palace, colloquially known as the "Bermuda Triangle" (it has a triangular shape, the rest you might be able to figure out!).
[Anatoliy Vilkovich, 1978?]
The previously mentioned spot by the Zavod Bolshevik metro station. The tram, in a relatively short-lived yellow-and-blue livery, leaves the stop Svyatoshino-bound.
[Wolfgang Schreiner, 08.1973]
Garmatnaya. Note the name of the stop atop the pavilion, all capitals, in two languages... and, of course, "LONG LIVE THE CPSU!" on an apartment block in the background.
[Kiev Electric Transportation Museum, 1966]
8. Ploschad Bogdana Khmelnitskogo - Zheleznodorozhnyj Massiv
MTV-82's ran on the 8 until 1959, when the route ended at Ploschad Bogdana Khmelnitskogo which had a loop. Then the Vladimirskaya stretch was abandoned and a stub track at University put in place, necessitating a transition to double-ended cars. Just before the abandonment, the 1243 is seen here running along Vladimirskaya near the Opera House.
[Raymond De Groote Jr., 11.07.1959]
The route number is not visible but it must be 8, since route 15 employed almost exclusively KTC cars at that time. Having passed by the Red Building of the University on Vladimirskaya, the tramcar is about to make a right turn into Tolstogo.
[M. Kozlovsky, 1957]
The last single-track line in town along Ulitsa Uritskogo (it is barely possible to recognize the present area of Ploschad Petra Krivonosa). This piece is even more unique since trams ran here in pairs! With single cars, the capacity was less than needed, trailers could not be used because of a steep incline, thus such an original solution was resorted to. The 1294 is on approach to the so-called Lower Passing, and in the background is its partner; the two will go through the passing together.
[Raymond De Groote Jr., 11.07.1959]
The same 1243 accompanied by sister cars from routes 6 and 21, in the Lukyanovka depot. The cars are no more than two years old here...
[Archive of Photographic Documents of Ukraine, 1951]

[In Memory of Kiev Trams | Photo Gallery of Trams and Trolleybuses]

© Stefan Mashkevich, Aare Olander, 2003
Any usage of materials found herein requires explicit consent of the authors and/or copyright holders as specified.
Last modified 26 August 2003